Yesterday I came across this great brownie recipe in a newsletter that I subscribe to. The recipe is vegan, gluten-free and it still sounded delicious and easy. With the rainy weather we’ve been having I was in the mood to bake, so decided to give it a try right away. Thankfully I already had almost everything on hand and was able to make one simple substitution, so I was all set.
½ cup raw almonds
½ cup raw organic cacao powder
¼ cup organic coconut sugar
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. sea salt
4-6 dried pitted dates
¼ cup light canned coconut milk
¼ cup organic coconut shreds
2 Tbsp. organic unrefined coconut oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Blend almonds in food processor until ground.
3. Pulse in the cacao, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
4. Next, add the dates, figs, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut shreds, and blend until you have a smooth batter.
5. In a medium bowl, stir applesauce into the batter.
6. Grease an 8×8” pan lined with foil and spread batter evenly on the foil.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting. They can last a week in the fridge, but it’s doubtful they will make it that long!!
Here’s a link to the original recipe: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12821/fig-coconut-brownies-a-gluten-free-vegan-treat.html