- 1 large winter squash (i.e. butternut or kabocha)
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- 4 cups broth
- 2 – 4 cups water
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- ~1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- ~1 tsp. each of cardamom & coriander
- pinch of cloves
- salt to taste
- Bake the squash, sweet potatoes, onion and apples at 400 for ~45 minutes to 1 hour until everything is soft. I put coconut oil on the bottom of the baking dish and put some salt on everything before I baked it.
- Once out of the oven, let everything cool a little bit until you can scoop the squash meat out of the peel.
- Put everything into a large pot and add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and simmer for ~30 minutes.
- Blend the soup. I love using my immersion blender for this, but you could transfer the soup to a blender and do it that way, too.
- Enjoy with fresh homemade bread or over a whole grain. I love using this soup as a sauce or adding other veggies and/or some chicken to it for a more filling meal.