In the recent newsletter sent out by HAAS Health, they shared a great idea for a healthy lunch – Salad in a Jar. Just prepare your favorite salad ingredients ahead, put them into Mason Jars and you have a ready to go lunch. It’s a great idea, looks really cool in the jars, saves space in your fridge, and you can be very creative with ingredients. Below are a few more details and some salad ideas to get you started. Enjoy!
From BOTTOM to TOP:
- Dressing – any you like; my favorite is olive oil, lemon, a little mustard, salt and dill
- Shredded carrots, shredded beets (try golden or stripped beets), or shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced radishes or red onions
- Cherry tomatoes or sliced peppers
- Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Hard boiled eggs
- Baby spinach or Romain lettuce or thinly sliced Napa cabbage
1) Place ingredients in a large wide mouth mason jar
2) Store in fridge for up to a week
3) When ready to eat: shake jar, place on a plate, and eat!
It’s important to remember to put the dressing at the bottom and the lettuce at the top.
If you’re making salads for the week, you MUST vacuum seal the Mason Jars. You can do an internet search for how to so. This link is to one creative method for vacuum sealing Mason Jars