There are days when I want a quick and tasty breakfast. Today was one of those days so I decided to make French Toast. French Toast doesn’t need to be a weekend only treat and it can be healthy, too!
It can be a bit tricky to balance healthy with tasty. Often it takes a little trial and error, plus some getting used to. It may help to not think of it as French Toast, but as a something new. Personally I’ve become so used to making my own French Toast that I generally find the restaurant style French Toast to be far too sweet and gooey.
One trick for a good French Toast is finding the right kind of bread. Generally I’ve found that very hearty whole grain breads aren’t very conducive to French Toast since they don’t seem to soak up the egg as well. Thankfully I found Alvarado Street Essential Flax Seed Bread, which works great!
- 1 egg, beaten
- Dash of vanilla
- 1/4 cup liquid (I like to use almond milk)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Beat together the egg, liquid, salt, and vanilla.
- Soak bread slices in the egg mixture, turning them over a few times until it’s all soaked in.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan to medium heat, then add the soaked bread.
- Cook on each side until golden brown (~2 minutes each)
- Enjoy with applesauce or almond butter or anything else you like!