After yesterday’s post on greens I thought it would be fun to post a salad recipes. This can, of course, be altered to fit whatever you have on hand. I like to make enough so that it is a full meal by itself. You can adjust it so that it is a side salad or simply have leftovers for another salad later. If you plan to save some for later, then it is better not to put dressing on the whole thing. I also recommend adding any grains and fish only to what you plan to eat right away. It will keep better this way.
Fresh Spring Salad
- Spring Lettuce – can be a mixture of types or one type
- 1 carrot, cut into slices
- 5 – 6 snap peas, cut into quarters
- Some chives, cut into pieces
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. of Sauerkraut
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 2 calendula flowers, petals only
- Cooked grains, i.e. rice or quinoa (optional)
- 2 oz. of fish, tuna or salmon, crumbled over the salad (optional)
- A large dollop of hummus on top
- Place lettuce in a large bowl
- Add all other toppings
- Pour on dressing
* I enjoy a simple dressing made up of olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings (i.e. salt, pepper, plus whatever you like), but you can use whatever you like. Sometimes I mix mine with the hummus before adding it all to the salad.