Adapted from a recipe on Pinch My Salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. oil (used olive oil)
- 2 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 standard size 12 cup muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, oil, honey, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin cups. They will be about half way full before baking.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Muffins are done when they spring back lightly to the touch or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.