Southern-style Vegetarian Collard Greens
Collard greens are filled with a variety of vitamins and minerals that our body needs. They are a wonderful source of calcium, magnesium, Vitamins A, C, K, some of the Bs, folate, manganese, potassium, and more. Plus they help lower cholesterol. This recipe is easy and tasty!
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (more is okay, too)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional or less – I leave out)
- 1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound collard greens, chopped (Tip: Take out the thick core, then layer a few leaves on top of each other, roll them up and cut them into very thin strips – they cook a bit faster and are less bitter this way)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil.
2. Saute the onions until slightly softened, about 2 minutes
3. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic, cook another minute.
4. Add collard greens and cook another minute.
5. Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until greens are tender, about 40 minutes.
6. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.